Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Dinnertime

As I hovered over the stove, eating roasted sweet potatoes right out of the pan, I realized that probably 98.67% of college students couldn't imagine eating the dinner I just had (the others being the vegan in my FHE group and the rest being someone who really likes sweet potatoes).  The thing that kills me about these sweet potatoes is that I didn't even put garlic salt on or have ketchup to dip with. I didn't want to ask my roommate to borrow her ketchup again...and I don't know, I just ate them.

That is how most of my college dinners have been, me looking down at the cutting board wondering what I'm going to do with those chopped up vegetables.  And most of the time it kind of tastes like I had no idea what I was doing.

Hence, this Snapchat to my sister:
But this time? It actually worked out.  So it calls for a recipe. 

An Elise Original: Brown-Sugar Glazed, Lime Refried Beans: (ha that title just kills me). 
-Some leftover beans from yesterday's meal.  (Black is preferable). 
-About a fourth of a yellow onion
-Teaspoon of brown sugar
-Juice of one lime 
-A little chili powder
-Dash of garlic salt 
-Obligatory minced garlic/EVOO 
-1 sweet potato

Roast some sweet potato with a little EVOO in the oven at 400 degrees for maybe 25 minutes.  I don't know...until you want to eat or they look brownish in some spots.  
Sauté the onion in the obligatory garlic/EVOO until it looks good.  Add the brown sugar.  Throw in the chili powder and stir it around to mix it.  Add the juice of half a lime.  Rinse the black beans and toss them in there.  Let it sauté for a bit, and then squeeze in the rest of the lime juice.  Add the garlic salt whenever you feel like it.  Add to the sweet potatoes and add some green onions for a garnish. 



Wa la!  There you have it.  An Elise Original with some good protein in there.  

I never realized how much beans are a comfort food until it was cold yesterday.  Mom, sorry I never requested beans.  

FYI, the beans really were good.  I'm giving all of the credit to that lime juice.  

xo. Elise 

No comments:

Post a Comment