Sunday, January 27, 2019

Heard it on the radio

The radio was one of the first things I remember noticing about Uganda.  Lanyero had picked me up at about 11:30 pm and we were driving back to her house.  I was unsettled, driving in the dark in an unfamiliar country with someone I had just met (in looking back at these situations, I am a little appalled I thought a trip like this was smart and perfectly fine?).  The radio was playing the Chainsmokers, one of my favorite bands. I think it was playing The One?  All I remember thinking is I heard this song live nearly a year ago, and now I'm hearing a two minute remix on the radio in Uganda.  Everything seemed ominous in the dark.  I hadn't slept in probably two days, but every nerve was aware and awake, even though I wish I could just sleep. 

Throughout the trip, the radio was always in the car.  It played a mix of inappropriate rap, elevator music, or pop remixes from the U.S.  I have a collection of a few songs that I shazamed while in the car.  Songs I liked, and a few of them I absolutely love.  Hoodie, by Hey Violet, is one that I can't help but play on repeat.  I remember the announcer said after the song was played, wow, it doesn't sound like she is handling that breakup very well (said in the lovely Ugandan accent). There was one radio piece about the danger of boda boda motorcycles and the movement to make them safer.  Laws were being passed about wearing helmets or only having one person on the motorcycle at a time.  People wouldn't ride them except there were cheap and traffic was unpredictable, so it wasn't reasonable to get rid of them, even though they were dangerous. 

There was a commercial for a segment where a man just said, "this is crazy.  this is crazy. this is crazy," in a crazed sound voice.  It still is creepy to me when I think about it.  I think it was for a psycho thriller segment?  Or murder mystery?  I'm not sure. 

On my last full day in Uganda, we had had a long day.  We had to go pick up Gladys, Gum's friend to get her vaccinated.  We rode public all of the way out to her school, picked her up, and rode public all of the way back to the hospital.  We went to one hospital to first get the paperwork sorted out and then we had to wait for her shot.  Afterwards, we rode to the mall and got food.  We rode public all of the way out to her school again and then headed to the equator.  It was a several hour ride away.  We finally made it back to Lanyero's mother's house and where we had parked the car.  At this point, it was 11:00 at night and I was exhausted.  The hope of going home the next day was sustaining me.  We got in the car and started the hour drive home.  As we crested the hill, heading down to the road, "22" came on by Taylor Swift.  It had been the only Taylor Swift song I had heard my entire trip, and I as I looked over at the lights of Kampala, it seemed fitting.  Yes, being 22 was crazy, free, and confusing.  Yes, I was in Uganda and in that moment it wasn't scary or overwhelming, but an incredible experience.  I had seen the equator that day.  I had ridden on a motorcycle through the streets.  I had helped accomplish a small goal for development for a cause that was important.  It was a moment I took a snapshot of in my mind, listening to my favorite artist encapsulate an experience, as a 22 year old, I wouldn't get back. 

xo. Elise

Me, at the equator, with random people who wanted to take a lot of pictures with me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment