Monday, November 5, 2012

First

"Sometimes I wonder about my life."

This quote is from the excellent movie, You've Got Mail.  (It may not be an exact quote, but this is how I remember it in my life.)  This one line quote comes to me often.  Sometimes I wonder about my life.  I wonder about being important.  I wonder about where I'm going with my life.  Like Kathleen Kelly says in the movie, "I have a small life, important, but small."

In history, you here a lot about people.  You here a lot about these people that were firsts.  The first woman to keep her maiden name.  The first African American to be a published poet.  The person that invented the cotton gin, which completely changed the U.S. economy.  The author that was the first one to really combine the popular sentimental book with current political issues.

These people have done the first.  They have been the firsts.  I look at my life, I look at the opportunities to be the first.  Not just the first in my school, town, or neighborhood.  But truly, really, honestly, no way around it the first.  First enough you end up in a history book.  This is when I wonder about my life.  Wonder about being the first.

Well, I guess I could be the first woman president.

-E

No comments:

Post a Comment