Monday, July 21, 2014

Summertime

I was sitting in our raspberry patch tonight, munching away on raspberries I could barely see since the sun had gone down.  It may have just been me, but those were the sweetest raspberries I've tasted all year.  I was in yoga pants and galoshes (always fashion conscience, that's me) and felt perfectly happy.

It was windy, since a storm is coming in.  I was playing a little volleyball with me and the garage wall, hitting it again and again and again.  I thought, like I have on and off for the past two and a half years, wow, I'm pretty good at this game, this sport.  It used to feel like volleyball ran through my blood and defined me in the most beautiful way possible.  I'm happy to have gotten to a point in my life where I recognize it still can define me.  Not only was I debate president, but I was also captain of my freshman and sophomore volleyball team.  That is part of who I am.  I played competitive volleyball for three years.  It's satisfying to recognize parts of yourself that will still be there, regardless of what happened.  Still bitter sweet to play in my backyard, I always think of that horrible summer and fall when I played obsessively, and it didn't quite pan out.  My dad and I were playing frisbee together a few days ago, don't worry, I still have problems with those elbows of mine.

I'm lucky to be here in my point right now and lucky that I recognize that I'm lucky.

xo. Elise

No comments:

Post a Comment