Friday, August 15, 2014

Top 3

A time of transition always provides time for celebration and reflection.  And today is August 15th, even more reason to celebrate.  :) I've been thinking about my year thus far, and I want to write about the top 3 days of celebration I've had.  Some of these days are so filled with pure unadulterated joy I get excited thinking about them.  Here we go, because it's a reason to celebrate today! 

1.  April 11th.  This is really the only time I have ever skipped school. That sounds rebellious, but my mom drove me down to Salt Lake and we went to a college recruitment reception.  Wow, I really know how to play hooky.  The reception was not quite what I was expecting, and to be honest, it added more stress to my life.  But, the day is perfect in memory.  We walked out of the Huntsman building, I check my phone and have a text from a friend to call the principal.  I get ahold of the secretary and I find out that I am valedictorian.  Eek!  My mom and I frantically drove to BYU, where we had a meeting with the business department to discuss their program.  Throughout the whole 40 minute drive, my mom and I would look at each other and say, "Oh my gosh...I'm/you're valedictorian!" Afterwards, we met up with my sister and went to our spirit store, Target.  I got to talk to my dad on the phone to tell him the news, in which he started crying, which made me cry.  My mom and I started driving back, and we went to dinner at a Brazilian restaurant where we had the best Brazilian lemonades we have ever had.  We were almost home, driving down tenth, when we turned on "The Dog Days are Over" by Florence and The Machine.  We opened the sunroof, sang at the top of our lungs, and danced to the music.  A Sonic blast finished off the day.  I will always remember that day because even though I was stressed about deciding where to go college, I had a ton of school work to do, and I felt a lot personal conflict, it didn't matter because I was celebrating with my mom. 

2. March 29th.  I was on my annual spring break trip with my dad, and we were hiking in Zions.  We had been on the hike before, but not for several years.  It was gorgeous.  We started the day with Starbucks hot chocolate and beautiful red rock.  I remember standing in a wash, waiting while my dad was taking pictures.  The wind picked up, blowing my hair everywhere and giving me a sense of freedom.  I was surrounded It was perfect.  We drove to St. George, craving Mexican food.  We found a place and devoured delicious steak tacos and enjoyed they're salsa bar.  We checked into the hotel, and my dad went on a run.  I went down to the workout room and ran for three straight miles.  (I remember it because I hadn't done that for a while, and I had already hiked that day so I felt especially cool).  We went to Paradise Cafe for dinner and bought a dozen cookies for the next day, which always brings a smile to my face.  My dad got a tuna sandwich, which smelled horribly, and then we boxed our leftovers in the same box  My ham sandwich was definitely contaminated.  :)  We went to Nielsen's Custard, and even though I got a lemon raspberry concrete (just don't), it was still pretty good.  That whole trip was really good for me, and I loved spending time with my dad, but it was that moment in the canyon that I remember.  You know, when every single thing is ok, and you don't want to change a thing. 

3. March 15th.  Wow, this was a good day.  It was the day that we took State!  And I took State!  And it was such a perfect day, I don't even know how to describe it.  When I found out that I was undefeated in prelims, I just cried.  I called my mom, and her heart sank, thinking the tears were because I had done poorly.  Nope, I was the only that was undefeated and dang it, I was going to cry about it.  And then after two more rounds they announced I took first.  And I found out in front of my team, my little team who I love so much.  I started crying, sobbed actually.  It was a rush of emotions that I haven't felt before.  I don't know how many prayers were uttered over this day, but they were answered ten-fold.  

I've had so many good days this year, but I'm getting a little restless so we will stop at three today.  

Also, my sister is leaving BYU campus today, and I just want her to know that I am sending lots of hugs, kisses, and prayers her way today.  She is such an example to me and I hope she knows that!  

xo. Elise 
I can't believe I'm putting this picture up, but look how happy I am! 

What are men to rocks and mountains? 


Covert selfie taker.  

Muah!

No comments:

Post a Comment