Saturday, February 7, 2015

Parent Yourself

Before I moved out, my mom told me about the concept of parenting yourself.  It's easy when you are an adult (or at least a pseudo-adult, which is how I feel most of the time) to think that you are taken care of.  You eat when you're hungry.  You plan your schedule.  You decide what you are going to do for the day.  In the midst of your adultness, it's easy to forget to actually parent yourself.  Away at college,  I don't have any parents, and I'm responsible for parenting myself.  And sometimes I forget that.

But today, I parented myself.  I didn't eat a lot of vegetables, floss, or go for a run.  I didn't do the dishes.

But I did do some homework.  I did go to the mall to spend some of my Christmas money.  I did make myself a burrito with guacamole and pico de gallo, comfort food that soothes my soul and fills my stomach.  I'm going to distance myself from everyone until I can actually have a conversation without being irritated.  I'm going to get enough sleep.

Sometimes Elise needs the extra push, and she really appreciates it.

xo. Elise

No comments:

Post a Comment