Sunday, August 16, 2015

August 15th

Yesterday was August 15th, the day I deemed a holiday last year on my 18 going on 19 list.  At the beginning of the year, I put celebrate August 15th on my list of goals.  I had big plans about celebrating it, even though none of them were concrete.  As the year has progressed, and as my motivation decreased, I didn't have any great plans for yesterday.  I forgot it was my holiday until midmorning.  And the rest of the day felt like a secret party.

I didn't write down any goals or reflect on the past year.  I did go see a movie with my parents, stop by the farmer's market, see the progress on the house, and go on a seven mile run.  It was a basic Saturday, but as I settled into the movie theater with a handful of popcorn, it felt like a celebration.

I didn't even splurge on a dessert yesterday, and somehow not doing that and celebrating a holiday seem incongruous to me.  But I'm realizing that it's ok.  Leading a good life, full of celebration and parties is a great way to live.  But it doesn't always have to be loud.  And sometimes celebrating something is a small feeling deep inside you that sends a thrill down your spine.

My view of celebration has changed, and I'm ok with that.

xo. Elise

No comments:

Post a Comment