Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Summer Edition: Things I learned

It's weird that my summer started clear back in April, and now it's August.  That seems like a ridiculous amount of time.  That's a third of the year, which is basically what my fifth grade summer dreams are made of.  No more two and a half month stints for me.

Things I've learned: I've learned that I really don't like juice and to me it's a waste of calories.  I learned how to drive and park at the airport, by myself (!!!).  I learned how to order room service.  I learned that popcorn can be a great dinner option, but sometimes even two apples and a peach are a-ok.  I learned what SQL is and how to write code.  I learned that I need Mexican food about once a week to feel at peace with the world.  I learned that I can use a pizza stone without burning the house down. I've learned to recognize my talents and admit them.  I realized I don't need to qualify anything.  I've learned that baked onion rings are just as good as fried, which is some of the best news I've heard.  I've learned that taking social media fasts are my jam, but I'm still working out the kinks in my method.  I've learned having a place for everything is really important to me.  I've learned that so many things don't matter anymore after you put a year between them. I've learned to say what I feel and let silence fill in the rest. I've learned that being brave doesn't have to be loud and that no one else needs to think that you were brave.  I've learned that sometimes your fears do come true.  Sometimes they are exactly what you are afraid of, but I've also learned that even if your fears do happen, you are strong enough to live through them.  I've learned that I need to figure out a new goal system.  I've realized I don't like confusing instructions.  I remembered that I really am capable of hard work, and I thrive with it. I've learned that podcasts can be great, and I like the Relevant podcast with an absurdness that is funny even to me.  I realized that summer is always a poor music time for me, and I never find any good songs during the summer.  I've learned how to drive to Anne's new home. I learned what it feels like to visit Logan and go back to see a college roommate.  I've learned that I'm over goodbyes.  I've learned that you have a lot more control over some things than you might think.  I've learned to go to bed, just go to bed.  I've learned that having a pen, post-it notes, a hair thing, and tissues nearby are really great ideas.  I've become a pro at packing a liquid airplane bag.  I've developed a high tolerance for boring things and how to survive. 

I've learned that summer is a time of transition and no longer a time of pool days and lemonade stands.  I've learned that's ok.  It's been a hard summer full of really excellent memories and really great people.  

xo. Elise

No comments:

Post a Comment