Sunday, September 9, 2012

ON BREAKING UP WITH VOLLEYBALL

Guys, I had a break-up almost a year ago.  It was bad.  It hurt a lot.  It was for the better.  And I realized, specifically today, how much it really doesn't matter.

(I feel like this is a really clever idea, so go with me on it. :)

Volleyball and I, we had been together for a while.  I always knew we would end up together, you know, that type of relationship.  We hung out for a while, and then we were more serious during seventh grade.  Ever since then we had been quite the item.  Two time a week practices with tournaments most weekends.  Well, things were going great.  I loved it!  I was so happy and excited to play. However, some other people entered our relationship.  It wasn't as fun any more.  I wasn't feeling that same excited zing I used to feel.  These people in between us, they were real downers.  It started to be a lot harder.

Until it all came to a head.  And that's when I decided to break up with volleyball.  And that's when I had a few epiphanies.

First, I was putting way to much stock in something that was short term anyway.  Second, it was sucking my life away and my supposed passion wasn't as fun anymore.  Third, I didn't feel good playing with the team and coaches I was.  Fourth, I was too emotionally invested in something that ultimately I had no control over.

And fifth.  It came today.  Almost a year later.  IT WASN'T THAT BIG OF A DEAL.  Yeah, I realized that today in church.  It was not that big of a deal.  Over my lifetime, over my decisions, over my choices, it's not that big of a deal.

Yes, I have realized before today how inconsequential volleyball actually is.  But, today is the day it was driven home with that satisfying feeling that comes after fireworks.

With these thoughts, I'm wondering if debate was actually my rebound? ;)

Love,
Elise

2 comments: