Saturday, October 6, 2012

ON BEING LDS

Yesterday I found out a friend of mine decided he was atheist.  He used to be LDS, but decided that he didn't believe in a God anymore I guess.  I don't know the whole story.

I'm not trying to bash other beliefs, or discriminate against his decision, but I'm really disappointed.  I live in a place where Mormons are common.  Where it seems like everyone believes the same things.  Where everyone wants the same things.  I see a lot of kids rebel against this social norm just to be different.  Just to thumb their nose at society in some way.

I'm disappointed for a lot of reasons, and this shook me a lot more than I expected.  I should really preface this explanation with what I believe.

I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  I believe in Christ.  I stand all amazed at the love He offers me.  I believe in His grace.  I believe and I know that I am never alone.  I have faith in my Heavenly Father that He knows, loves, and cares for me.  There are so many things about the Church, and the Gospel, that I love.

The reason why this shook me up so badly was because I love the Gospel so much.  I truly, honestly, whole-heartedly believe in it.  It has given me so much happiness.  The thought that someone won't have that in their life, after having it, is devastating.  I feel like this friend is giving up so much.  He is giving something up.  He is giving up the belief that someone is always with him.  He is giving up the belief that we are here on this earth for a purpose and that we have someone looking out for us.  That makes me sad.

Listening to the Church leaders today, it gave me so much hope.  I felt so happy.  I felt like my Heavenly Father was giving me what I needed.  A few days ago I was reading my scriptures, and I felt so happy, content, safe, at peace, and loved.

This is why I'm a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

*To learn more about the Church: lds.org*


Have a great weekend!

xo. Elise

1 comment: