Saturday, February 9, 2013

Image

I have been thinking lately.  I heard some new about a family friend today, and it hurt my heart.  The main problem is regarding body image.  My heart broke as I thought about this friend of mine.  This person that I grew up with.  Someone that I never in a million years would have guessed would be lacking the confidence that they have every right to have.

It's tough for girls out there.  It is a tough crowd.  I cannot tell you how many girls I know don't eat three meals a day.  Sometimes it feels like I would be hard pressed to tell you how many girls do eat the amount of food their body needs.  In all honesty, it is not uncommon for me to hear a girl mention that she doesn't eat breakfast or lunch, just snacks after school.  Or she doesn't eat dinner, mainly granola bars.  Or she has cold cereal most nights.

Being a teenage girl isn't easy.  It's tough.  I'm not always confident in the way I look, let's be honest.  It's a constant struggle for everyone, but especially girls, to look in the mirror and be content.  It is hard work, every single day, for people to smile in the mirror and like the color of their eyes. Or the color of their hair.  Or their face shape.  Or the way that current fashion looks and fits on them.  It is hard for people to look at themselves and realize that they are perfectly okay.

I wish that we could fix this.  Stop making it so people look sideways.  Look sideways in the mirror to see how 'skinny' they look.  Look sideways during school to see everyone else seeming to have a better time than you.  Look sideways at those that seem to have their hair together.  Look sideways at those that are getting good grades, and attention, and awards, and it seems like their whole life is a yes.  They don't have any problems.

I was talking with someone yesterday, and they mentioned how everyone seems to have it together better than they do.  I inwardly rolled my eyes and said that's how everyone feels buddy.  No one really 'has' it together.  People are just a bunch  of good liars and actors.

This doesn't discount those that really are happy with where they are.  But, it's a high road to get there. It's not easy.  And everyone is working on it.

I hope that people will be able to one day accept them and accept others as well.  I know I'm still working on it.

Some of my favorite links for dealing with body image:
Being Sixteen (one of my favorite books)
A talk by a leader in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Chapter 9 in this book is all about body image.  It always makes me feel good, also the opening paragraphs in the section about confidence.
Ted Talk! This was really interesting to me.

I hope that we all try a little harder to help others be a  little more okay with just...being.

Good luck!

xo. Elise

No comments:

Post a Comment