Saturday, December 21, 2013

It's Official!

I am officially 18.  Born at 2:13 at p.m.  Talk about crazy.  A little scared...a little nervous...feeling very loved and happy.  I am currently typing this on my brand new laptop! (eek! I have been waiting for this forever).  I went shopping with my sister, went and saw Frozen (some people are worth melting for), and went to dinner with my family.  Yesterday my mom threw me a surprise birthday party and it was absolutely perfect, right down to the light pink balloons that still make me happy when I see them.

I've been thinking a lot about being 18.   I feel like I'm really good at being a teenager.  I am a successful high school student.  I can ace those tests, I can finish those projects, I can win those awards.  I can do all of that, and quite easily, well...ok with some stress.  But I don't know how to be an adult.  I don't know how to pay bills, be a parent, have a career.  I don't know what it's like to not have my entire life in front of me.  I don't know how.  And that is what scares me probably the most about being 18.

But if anything, this birthday has taught me that I am loved.  Over 40 people came to my surprise party yesterday.  I had so many people text me, post on my wall, and bring me the nicest gifts.  I am loved and people like me.  And I think that it is enough, enough to let me move past the fear of the unknown I have.

And, like my sister's gift to me said, "Do not fear the future."

xo. Elise, the 18 year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment