Sunday, June 8, 2014

Let them have shirts!

My dad completed his second half Ironman yesterday.  That means, ahem: 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike ride, and 13.1 run.  And he did it faster than I could drive (you know, in a car) to St. George. That is impressive.

However, the Ironman gear.  Let them have shirts for heaven's sake!  The day before the race we handled all of the logistics. (When I say 'we,' I mean my dad + his two satellites/clothes hangers/navigators/and otherwise color commentators-my mom and me).  Checking in the bike, registration, and prep work all took place before the race.  You'd be amazed at how many people had Ironman shirts/backpacks/tattoos/stickers everywhere.  I don't know if it's just me, but do they not have any other shirts?  Have they trained so hard for the race that every other shirt is filthy?  Or, perhaps they have done so many races that they only have Ironman shirts left.  In any case, I think we should help these people out and get a fundraiser going so they can wear something made of non-athletic material that doesn't boast of their completed mileage.

Also, it seems a bit excessive to have shirts labeled 'Ironmaid,' 'Future Ironman (on a six year old),' 'Irondog,' 'Irongrandma,' and the 'Ironwife.'  Ok, so I only saw two of the four...unless you count the poor dog stuffed into a neon orange 'Ironvolunteer' shirt one.  All I'm saying is that Ironman sure knows how to help the support crew feel just as cool as the athlete.  Maybe to compensate for the fact that the cheer squad wants some nifty gear so everyone knows that they are veterans of the course.  They have suffered through and seen it all.  Nothing surprises them anymore, and every other spectator should know it.

Other than that, I can't think of any other reason why the athletes would wear their shirts to registration or why the six year old is advertising for Ironman.

Congrats again to my dad, it was an impressive weekend and I can't imagine anywhere I would rather be to cheer him on to a personal record.  So darn proud of him!  

xo. Elise



      

No comments:

Post a Comment