Friday, October 10, 2014

Rabbit

I actually think about this particular run a lot when I'm running.  It was our last day in London, we were heading by train to Paris that night.

Pause.

Reread that last sentence and contain your squeals of excitement that that really was my real life and that it actually happened.

Play.

Anyway, I had just received some horrific news that a classmate of mine, and one my debate team members, had passed away in a car accident.  I went running with my dad through Kensington Park.  Not going to lie, on the way out, I definitely stopped and walked and said go ahead.  I wasn't feeling that great.  But on our run, I told all of my worries to my dad.  One of these years, my parents aren't going to be there for me.  Eventually everyone I know is going to die, including myself.  What is the point if we are all going to die?  This unexpected death really shook me up.  My dad consoled me, handed me a tissue, and reminded me that I will always have someone there for me.  It was going to be ok.

On the way back to our hotel, I perked up a bit.  I started running faster, when we saw another lady running ahead of us.  My dad said, "I believe you've got a rabbit."

For those unfamiliar with the term, in running, a rabbit means a pace-setter.  In large professional races, rabbits are assigned to a certain pace to make sure the elites don't start out too fast and ruin their race.  In the Ragnar relay, it means someone running ahead of you.  In my case, it meant someone I wanted to catch.

I picked up my pace, and we did catch up to her and pass her.  I turned to my dad and said, "I believe that's what you call a kill."  (A kill just means that you passed someone. Don't panic).

About a mile from our hotel, I started running even faster through the streets of London.  I ran fast, and far, and free.  I passed my dad (or almost passed him, which definitely counts in my book), cheekily turned to him and puffed out, "I believe that's what you call a kill."

I went on a run today (first, just proud I got up and got out of bed because that has been hard all week).  I was running up the last little hill, probably a quarter of a mile, when I saw someone ahead of me.

And I heard the echo, "I believe that's what you call a rabbit."

So I caught up, and it became a kill.

xo. Elise

No comments:

Post a Comment