Saturday, May 16, 2015

And another!

And today I ran another half marathon.

I am still in shock that I've actually done two, because one sometimes just sounds insane.  But I did it.  And I had so much fun.  Really, I actually had an amazing time on the course today.  I was shocked to find that because my last half marathon was full of stress and insecurity and uncertainty.  Running it the day I moved to college probably didn't help.

But this time around, I loved it.  Around mile 8 I was convinced I could run forever. Obviously not true because I can barely walk right now, but I was just so happy.  And it was perfect to be reminded of how much I actually really enjoy running.  It rained constantly throughout the whole race, but I kept thinking how lucky I was to be running in the beautiful green canyon with sheets of rain washing over me.

All throughout the race, when it got really difficult, I would pray for my dad and my sister.  It wasn't an elaborate prayer, but over and over again I prayed for them.  I prayed because my dad was trying to reach a goal, and Anne was running her first race.  And they did it.  And I am grateful that I got to experience this race and this hobby with them.

During the home stretch, I heard people cheering my name.  Looking up, I saw my mom and dad, screaming my name, just like they have for years at volleyball tournaments and track meets and award assemblies.  And I grinned.  Just grinned.  I hope I smiled the way I did when I was younger and full of swagger.  Because it was a treat to see them.

I am off to Lake Powell this week, and I am getting sentimental thinking of what I'm going to miss out on with this family of mine.  I'm excited for a vacation, but I've realized how blessed I am with this family of mine.

xo. Elise


No comments:

Post a Comment