Thursday, August 11, 2016

Bathroom Break

When I was wandering the streets of India, I had the distinct memory of my office bathroom.

My internship is in a beautiful business park with fountains, trees, new fixtures, fully-stocked kitchens, and free pizza every Friday.

The streets of India are full of people, human waste, dogs, and garbage.

And I remember hoping that as I walked the halls of the office building, that I would distinctly remember what it felt like to constantly smell the stench of people and waste.  That as I used the beautiful bathroom with the granite counter tops and nice smelling air freshener, I would remember what it was like to use a bathroom that didn't have toilet paper and had mysterious puddles in the corner...or even bathrooms that didn't have a toilet.

It was just a moment that I don't want to forget, even if it this post is mostly dealing with bathrooms.

I've been home for almost a week, but this world I live in and the world I visit don't seem compatible.  Or even like they're on the same planet.  I've seen old friends and laughed over ice cream.  I've gone to the farmer's market and got more free samples than what some people had for dinner.  I have never had to request to have still, not sparkling water.  I've pulled random currency out of my purse and rifled through my backpack that I got in China.

So if anyone is wondering, no I'm not quite over the trip.  No, this stage of life doesn't quite seem real.

No comments:

Post a Comment