Monday, January 23, 2017

Women's March

Most of the time, I prefer to happily live in somewhat of a bubble.  I don't engage in political discourse on Facebook.  I keep my political opinions to myself.  I prefer to avoid the meaningless conversations (aka arguments) that so many of peer seem to relish in.  Maybe I already had the argumentative phase in debate?  Maybe I've realized that issues are infinitely more complex than two sides?  Maybe when I learned about the value and criterion framework, I also learned that moral questions are unanswerable for a reason?  Maybe I'm apathetic?  Maybe I really am sheltered and don't understand the real world in what seems like the very fake world of BYU?

A lot of girls marched this past weekend.  One of my classmates flew out to D.C.  Others adamantly posted about how the women marches still alienated a majority of females and how ignorant people still are to the 'real problems' that are out there.  Someone else finally commented on their white privilege and the opportunities afforded them.

I don't pretend to understand this whole 'issue' and the nuances associated with it.

However, I do know that this issue isn't new.  I've known for a long time that my life is a fairy tale, even to other white, Mormon girls.  I do know that I've recognized for a long time that for some people, libraries aren't about books but about the free computer.  And I know that those kids are typically at the library because their moms are working and can't help them with homework.  I've known for a long time that having my mom sitting on my couch when I came home from school, just waiting to hear about my day is rare.  I do know that having a dad run a hospital, yet joke with the cafeteria works about cookies is special.  I've known all of these things for a while.

And I'm still not sure how I feel about the Women's Marches.  I am still in shock that we have a new president.  I'm a little confused on how the future of everything is going to turn out.

But a large part of me wants to ask these girls who are outraged at the current circumstances, what are you doing?  What are you doing, other than making signs and walking?  What are you doing other than typing 140 characters on Twitter and posting an artsy picture on Instagram about the power of women?

These actions cam be powerful, but quite frankly, I seem them perpetuating a problem.  Instead of fueling peace, they are fueling anger.  Instead of forcing them to live their lives differently, they are drawing lines.  With me or against me?  Marching or staying home?  Supporting or not?

And I'm tired of that.  I want to make a difference for women by being kind.  I want to be brave.  I want to walk into a classroom filled with mostly boys and raise my hand.  I want to support girls that want to having lots of kids.  I want to support girls that don't know what they're doing with their life.  I want to support women to understand the sheer power they hold.  I want to see my gender as a powerful force for good.  Not a petty, yelling, discriminating, political, lecturing group of people.  I don't think women need to be silent and pretty in a corner, but I don't think we need to mimic the politics of aggressive men.  I think we need a new solution.  Not turning the old solution pink (oops, sorry not pink, because stereotypes women as feminine? Who knows?  Pinks is my favorite color).

1 comment: