Sunday, August 5, 2018

Good Time

I was talking with my parents yesterday, and it was kind of funny because we were in this casual restaurant, where waiters were swirling, pizza was being delivered, and Diet Coke was being sipped, yet throughout it all we were talking.  About deep things about funny things about everything.  I drove home that night feeling alive.  It was a feeling I wish I could bottle up and keep forever.  I felt so in love with every aspect of my life, and mostly in love with my people. 

We talked about how I was in fourth grade and first went to my mom and essentially asked about the whole church thing.  Was it true?  Why was I going to church?  I will forever be grateful for the faith of my parents, and the fact that they didn't shove it down my throat.  They simply reiterated the promise--ask and ye shall receive.  They encouraged me to ask.  They gave me the freedom to fight for my testimony.  I am so very proud of my testimony today.  I am proud of the time I have put into it.  I am proud of who I have become, mostly because I know where it started.  I hope in 20 years, when my daughter comes in and asks about the whole church thing, that I have enough faith to say, "Ask!  God delivers every time.  Not usually in the timing or the way we want, but He answers." 

I realized today that I have always felt guilty for asking God for anything.  There seemed to be a golden ratio about gratitude and asking for things, and I never felt like I knew what it was.  I realized that paradigm is kind of a crappy way to view prayer, and it definitely isn't how I should view communicating with my Father.

I think of it like Heavenly Father is just so giddy to talk with us.  I picture Him just waiting for me to talk to Him, to listen, and just be.  I am sure that listening to us is one of the highlights of being God. I decided that I am done measuring my prayers against an invisible standard I created.  I can ask, ask, ask Heavenly Father for anything and everything.  Being grateful and showing gratitude is so important, but there isn't some invisible scorecard. 

In any case, what a rocking weekend with good food and good spiritual insights.  Cheers to this week!

xo. Elise

No comments:

Post a Comment