Monday, February 5, 2018

Una galleta de chocolate

I felt isolated today, singularly alone in this country so far from everything familiar.  I can't seem to write about today in a way that does it justice, but I went on a walk.  I'm learning to love walking up and down the streets, with no real destination.  The cathedral was open today, and when I went inside, I learned you could pay tres euros subir la torre (pay three euros to go up to the tower).  To be frank, I thought this Cathedral was rather expensive, but whatever.  The tour guide guy walked me over to a door, opened it to show a staircase, and left me to start climbing.  I haven't ever climbed a tower with no one else there.  I got a little dizzy and my legs were tired, but it was such a moment.  The stairs just kept circling and going.  I got to one level, and was a little disenchanted with the view that was blocked with bells and railings.  In the corner, there was a little wooden staircase that finally took me all of the way up.  Since I got to Alcala, I've been wanting to see it from an aerial perspective.  It was beautiful.  It snowed today, which doesn't happen often.  The hills were white and the roofs were red.  I had a good talk with God, to reorient myself a little.  

I have so much time to think these days, and I am learning when you have time to think, you can act instead of react.  So, I'm working on the acting, not just reacting.  

One the way home, I stopped and bought a chocolate chip cookie--honestly one thing I have been missing.  

I keep wondering why I travel.  This secret little adventure helped me remember.  I travel because at one point, you will pay 3 euros to climb a bunch of stairs and stand, all by yourself, in a cathedral tower and enjoy the view.  It isn't the big tourist moments that always matter, but this day, so full of red and milk chocolate chips will be a small reason.  

xo. Elise 



No comments:

Post a Comment