Sunday, March 25, 2018

Things I've Learned--Final

It's strange, to be here at this point.  I first wrote up the things I learned four years ago, after my first semester.  I remember writing it in the JSB, probably waiting for marketing or philosophy or my Book of Mormon class.  I remember feeling like I had learned so much, so many simple lessons, and I didn't want to forget any of them.  After every season of life, I felt the same way, so here we are, with me recording my last semester of lessons, as I study for my last college test of my career. 

I've learned that learning a language is hard, harder and more humbling than I expected.  I came in as a senior, a mini-expert on college and business, yet very few of those skills are transferrable when one of your teachers doesn't even speak English.  I learned that eating at a cafeteria isn't all bad, especially when they have bread every day.  I learned that I am still a fan of rice pudding.  I learned that daily (or mostly daily) walks are good for me because they are small adventures.  I've learned that chocolate chip cookies are really the thing I miss most about home, even amidst the land of excellent pastry.  I've learned that metros are nothing to be afraid of, and taking trains is also really not scary at all.  I've learned that you can become friends with people you have nothing really in common with, but it's ok.  I've learned what it's like to be with someone nearly 24/7 for 11 weeks, and this introvert survived just fine.  I learned that treadmills in km are the best.  I've learned that not having service for most of the day is actually really great.  I've learned to relax in a few things, but I have also learned what is important to me and what I am willing to fight for.  I've learned that I am more of a routine person than I expected, and brushing my teeth twice a day is very important to me.  I've learned to read books, even when I really don't want to finish them.  I've learned that you can actually communicate a lot, even though you don't speak the same language.  I've learned that what you do in high school actually does matter because those verb conjugations from years ago have helped.  I've learned I don't actually need plastic bags to grocery shop.  I've learned how to find the cheapest Coke.  I've learned how to plan trips and decide for myself what I want to do.  I've learned that you can survive on only three pairs of leggings.  I've learned that it is colder in Spain than I expected.  I've learned that when you are away from everyone, it can be lonely.  I've learned that sometimes you wish you hadn't left, but you are grateful for this season.  I've learned that I am proud of who I am, and I've learned that God is still there.  I've learned that the Spanish healthcare system is mildly horrible, but I can communicate if needed in Spanish.  I've learned that for me, the taste of Spain will be Diet Coke, oranges, and Milka Oreo bars.  I've learned Spanish Netflix is pretty cool. 

I could go on and on, per usual.  There are so many glimmers of life here that I don't want to forget, but I am also ready for this small chapter to be closed.  I came up with this whole study abroad idea last winter, when I was lonely and hurt and tired.  And I am grateful that I kept at it, researching and finding the right place for me.  I didn't need this adventure like I needed it last winter--the idea of it helped more than I can articulate.  However, I am so very grateful I've had it.  Spain is always going to have a little bit of me, and I don't even know how to write how beautiful I think that is.

xo. Elise

No comments:

Post a Comment