Friday, April 20, 2018

Where it Began

In the fall of 2015, I took my first development class, and I just fell in love.  I loved what we were learning about.  I loved the purpose it gave me.  I loved how it was so different from the business prerequisites.  I loved how my professor dreamed big, and encouraged me to think big.  I didn't always say much in that class because I was really intimidated with the RM's and their languages, and seemingly everyone else's in-country experiences.  I had traveled a lot, but nothing that required me to get a vaccine.

I was looking through my notes today, and I saw one from October 2, 2015, and it read, "Margaret Melville business consulting major.  Women's stats."  It must have come from a conversation I had with Professor Romeri-Lewis.  Margaret was actually a business strategy major.  In any case, I forget that these two weeks in Uganda have been building for years now.  I continually reached out, sent introductory emails, and kept the conversation going. 

The past two weeks have been difficult as Lanyero and I have been navigating the system that is Uganda.  Today we finally, finally, finally received the letters we needed for a large grant.  We both started crying in the Ministry of Health office.  We had tried so hard and driven to so many places, gosh.

I have struggled with this trip a lot more than I wanted to or expected.  I feel like development is no longer where I want to go, which is a little frustrating.  But today?  After our success?  It was what I wanted.  The small steps forward to hopefully make a big difference in the future?  That fulfills the dreams of 19 year old Elise, who was enamored in development theory and exotic countries, and the belief that somewhere along the line, I could help.

And that is satisfying in a way that I just have to thank God for.

No comments:

Post a Comment