Saturday, June 16, 2018

Things I Miss

I miss walking to the grocery store and buying Milka bars.  I miss shopping at Zara--everything was cheaper and fun.  I miss the taste of oranges.  I miss having new sheets every Wednesday.  I miss the train ride into Madrid.  I miss taking an afternoon walk and buying a treat.  I miss speaking broken Spanish and feeling ridiculously proud of myself.  I miss only having a few options of clothes to wear.  I miss having a gym that was close and usually empty.  I miss using cash often.  I miss the Mcdonald's McFlurries.  I miss the nuts you get from the cloistered nuns.  I miss going to the Prado.  I miss walking to Puerta de Sol.  I miss going to the bakery and shoving my way to the front to get a Napolitina Crema.  I miss getting chocolate and churros.  I miss only having a couple of hours of class every day.  I miss eating with all of the people at my study abroad.  I miss the yogurt there.  It wasn't even that good, but I miss it just the same.  I miss walking two miles to church, in my clogs.  I miss taking weekend trips.  I miss being distanced from the real world, at least for a little while.

I forget Spain happened until someone mentions it, and then my heart melts a little bit.  What a place and what a season of life.

xo. Elise

No comments:

Post a Comment